3 A.M. SUBMISSION POLICY
General Policies and Principles for 3AM Writers
Submissions are the lifeblood of 3AM. We don't pay our writers (theirs is a spiritual reward) but we have a liberal open-door policy designed to encourage and facilitate new writing. Our preference is for fresh, innovative and irreverent writing. With the following caveats…
- Familiarise yourself with 3AM and look at what kind of writing we already carry. Can you envisage your article on here?
- Articles submitted to 3AM should be unpublished. If you are submitting work which has already appeared in print or online, please let us know beforehand.
- Complete articles are preferred over story pitches.
- Quality over quantity -- unless specified otherwise, we generally do not publish pieces over 3000 words.
- Submissions should be sent, in the first instance, to the relevant Editor or Co-Editor. A list of these is on the left-hand side of the front page. If you are unsure, send your submission here.
- All contributions must be accompanied by a short third person biog and, if possible, a photograph. Paste your submission into the body of your e-mail (no attachments). Attach the picture.
- Please do not follow up your submission with enquiries about if or when it will be posted. We're on to it, but it might take some time due to the sheer volume of submissions we get these days.
- Style requirements. 3AM is a loose, eclectic forum for literary upstarts, degenerates and loose cannons -- we can't imagine why anyone would send us anything vaguely 'academic' in style, but please don't. Nor do we wish to receive anything bland or anodyne. Similarly, there is no political 'line' at 3AM, though it goes without saying that we do not condone hatred or discrimination. We're not huge fans of genre fiction either.
Please contact Andrew (Europe) or Jim (North America) before sending any books, magazines or CDs for review. They will direct you to an expert reviewer or, failing that, an inept one.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons